Luis de Velasco , IX Viceroy of Peru. He was born in 1539 in Carrión de los Condes, the son of Don Luis de Velasco and Doña Ana de Castilla. With his father he traveled to Mexico when he was appointed to exercise the viceregal government of New Spain (1550-1564), and remained in said territory many years later. He was appointed perpetual alderman of Mexico City and corregidor of Zampoala . He subsequently served as ambassador to the court of the Grand Duke of Florence. Don Luis de Velasco was appointed viceroy of Mexico in 1589 and made his entrance to the capital of New Spain on January 27, 1590 . He governed his adopted country until November 5, 1595, when, due to his promotion to the Viceroyalty of Peru, he handed over the mandate, in Acolman, to his successor, the Count of Monterrey, separating with great regret from Mexico. Q>
Luis de Velasco arrives at the Viceroyalty of Peru
Luis de Velasco entered Lima on June 24, 1596, took over as the Marquis of Cañete and ruled until December 8, 1604. He left a "List" of the conditions of the kingdom at the end of his administration, in which the great concern he had for public instruction at all levels transcends, since he promoted the foundation of schools and schools. During his rule, the death of King Felipe II occurred in September 1598 and the proclamation of his son Felipe III, as well as an uprising of the Araucanians, who destroyed seven towns, taking their inhabitants captive and killing Captain General Don García de Loyola when he was trying to rescue the Plaza de Puren. At the beginning of the 17th century, the first census of Lima took place, which resulted in the figure of 14,262 inhabitants, and the fifth Provincial Council of Lima was held by Archbishop Toribio de Mogrovejo, with whom Luis de Velasco had the most cordial relations. .
Works by Luis de Velasco
As far as foundations are concerned, the town of Carrión de Velasco, in the Huaura Valley (1596) is worthy of mention; the house for orphans of Luis Ojeda, the sinner (1597); the novitiate of the Society of Jesus, in Lima (1597); the diocesan seminary of Cuzco, the work of Bishop Don Antonio de la Raya; the collection house of the barefoot Franciscans, in the Rímac neighborhood; and the house for repentant women of Doña María de Esquivel (1598). When the seventeenth century began under the command of this viceroy, he enjoyed peace and order in the Peruvian territory. The rumors of seditions that emerged in Cuzco and Huamanga were no more than such, since the mutiny attempts of the curacas and nobles living in the imperial city had no effect.
Return to New Spain
When he finished his government in Peru, Don Luis de Velasco returned to Mexico, to rest from his advanced age, spending his time between the parcels of Tutitlan and Atzcapozalco. On June 16, 1607, he received a royal warrant ordering him to replace the Marquis of Montesclaros, who had been promoted to that of Peru, in the Viceroyalty of New Spain. Don Luis de Velasco made his entrance on June 20 of the same year, and ruled for the second time until June 10, 1611, the date on which he embarked for Europe, called by King Felipe III to exercise the high position of President of the Council of the Indies. During his second government of Mexico he received from the crown the title of Marquis of Salinas. he died in Seville on September 7, 1617 .