Without this brilliant speaker and master of political propaganda, Hitler would have had a much harder time starting the Second World War. What was Goebbels like in private, who persistently poisoned the hearts and minds of the Germans with the virus of Nazism? Christopher Macht tries to answer this question in his latest book.
Joseph Goebbels was Adolf Hitler's right-hand man.
Joseph Goebbels was Adolf Hitler's right-hand man. Without this brilliant speaker and master of political propaganda, Hitler would have had a much harder time starting the Second World War. What was Goebbels like in private, who persistently poisoned the hearts and minds of the Germans with the virus of Nazism? Christopher Macht tries to answer this question in his latest book.
Joseph Goebbels was waiting for me in my office, enjoying another cup of coffee. Besides, her aroma was already wafting in the corridor leading to his room. I knocked and, at his express consent, I went inside once more. To my surprise, in addition to a Goebbels drink, there was also a cup of coffee for me on the desk.
- Please. A jackdaw for you.
- Thank you ... - I didn't necessarily know what else to say.
- Recently you asked me - and I quote:" Why are you such a rude narcissist ?! ". Right?
"Yes ..." I answered truthfully.
- Well, exactly ... This question gave me a lot to think about, although I must admit that it also hurt me a lot ...
A man who loved to admire himself
Goebbels expected some comment from me. I was not too ready to do it. I just decided to nod. "Yhym…
- Well, exactly ... Not much time has passed since our last meeting. And I decided to use this time to remember what is meant by "narcissus". The first thing that came to mind was the Narcissus myth. You know it?
- Of course. A man who loved to admire himself.
Joseph Goebbels speaking at an NSDAP rally in Berlin in June 1932
- That's right. His main occupation was admiring his own face in a mirror image. He loved this sight immensely, he admired it at every step. He claimed to be an ideal without any defects. As he said about himself, he was a character endowed with only talents, unique at every step. Narcissus was an authority for himself. Do you know what lost him?
- At one point Narcissus realized that he was unable to experience direct contact with whoever he saw in the mirror. It got to the point that the man started a hunger strike and, as a result, died. In short, he died of self-obsession.
I had no idea what Goebbels was up to. In fact, the whole story of Narcissus struck him. Therefore, what this man told was all the more incomprehensible. Especially since it is said that every power corrupts, and Minister Goebbels wielded a great deal of power in his hands .
Goebbels, disregarding my reflections, continued, "With this question of narcissism, my point is that you were somewhat right." Yes, I had been staring at myself for some time, and the most beautiful sight was when I looked in the mirror . But so far no one has had cojones big enough to tell me about it. Only you, carried by your mindless instincts, burned this painful truth straight into my face. And thank you for that.
- Thank you ... Although I must admit that until now I do not know if this question was right. (...) I am not prepared for such a development of events, but thinking so quickly ... I wonder ... Well, since you are one of Adolf Hitler's closest associates, and at the same time the minister of propaganda, I wonder how often you use your propaganda tricks against the aforementioned Adolf Hitler?
- Good! A very good, sneaky question. But no. Adolf Hitler would be immune to all these propaganda tricks. That's why I never tested my tricks on the Führer.
The text is an excerpt from the latest book by the best-selling author Christopher Mack, "Goebbels' Confession. A sincere conversation with a friend of Hitler ”, which has just been released by the Bellona publishing house. Buy now- Then let me ask you another question. When did you meet Hitler for the first time?
- It was in July 1925. I remember it today. It was a short conversation that breathed new energy into me and confirmed that Adolf Hitler should become the leader of the nation . Then I also saw him in action on the podium. Mother, what a speech that was! What gestures, what oratorical art! It was the fulfillment of all my expectations.
- You say it was a short conversation. And when did you meet for longer so as to get to know each other better?
- In the same year, at the beginning of November. It was amazing. That meeting captivated me completely. His big eyes said more than a hundred words combined. At that moment, I felt like I was hit by Cupid's arrow in the political sense of the word.
- Almost twenty years have passed since then. Have you ever had moments of doubt about the genius of Adolf Hitler?
- Oh, no! This is the best leader that could hit the Third Reich . From that moment on, I worshiped him extremely strongly, at every step, in fact. You could say he was my god! And it has remained so until today. Every time I wake up and realize that it is my pleasure to know Hitler personally, a sincere smile appears on my face because of this tremendous happiness. It is a great honor to be able to be a friend of the Führer himself.
- I'm sorry if it is too honest, but now you speak like at an election rally. And I would like, if we are to talk openly, that it would be a conversation without this propaganda cover.
What was Goebbels like in private, who persistently poisoned the hearts and minds of Germans with the virus of Nazism?
- But I'm honest!
- Really? After all - with all due respect to Hitler - your words sound like those of a blind follower. I can't believe you don't see any flaws in Hitler.
- It's true, I can't see!
- Seriously? Maybe we could try to talk more honestly. Mr. now sounds like a member of some sect, blindly focused on one person.
- But that's the way it is. The entire Third Reich and Nazism could be described in two words. Do you know what?
- Adolf Hitler!
- Yeah. What else could I expect… What about these disadvantages?
- If I had reached deep into my memory, I would probably find something. You know, Mr. Weissman. For example, Hitler cannot be in two places at once . If it were possible, many decisions could be made much faster. This is perhaps the greatest drawback of our chief.
- I still feel like at an election rally. Maybe…
My statement was interrupted by a knock on the door.
- Please! Goebbels called.
“Hitler cannot be in two places at once. If it were possible, many decisions could be made much faster. This is perhaps the greatest fault of our chief. ”
Someone swiftly opened the door and a well-known personal advisor to Hitler stood on the threshold:- Minister, I report that Adolf Hitler will visit Mr. Der Führer und Reichskanzler in a moment!
- Take it easy! Thanks for the info.
Hitler's adviser leather boots hit one another.
- I'm checking out!
Hitler's adviser left the room, and I thought, Oho! Speak of the devil. We just talked about him. And please, Hitler is right there. What a clairvoyant!
Hitler is not denied
Goebbels looked like excitement. This sight was familiar to me. It dawned on me pretty quickly, and I smiled to myself as the thought crossed my mind. This is how I always imagined myself in a rather unusual situation. I felt like I have a bit of a similar expression on my face the moment I indulge in the pleasures of the bedroom . It was a euphoria interwoven with sick excitement, and at the same time so natural that it was abnormal.
Someone knocked again. Goebbels sprang to his feet and stood at attention. I also followed in his footsteps.
A face emerged from behind the ajar door that I would recognize even in outer space. This anemic mustache could only be worn by one person . He looked around the room in a flash and smiled slightly. Then his 165 centimeters of height entered the office of Joseph Goebbels.
The text is an excerpt from the latest book by the best-selling author Christopher Mack, "Goebbels' Confession. A sincere conversation with a friend of Hitler ”, which has just been released by the Bellona publishing house. Buy now "
- I'm not disturbing you, gentlemen? Hitler asked softly, though his expression showed some strange emotion, like anger.
- By no means, mein Führer! Welcome! - Goebbels mentally almost reached the peak of euphoria.
The minister showed Hitler a comfortable chair, but Hitler only shook his head and continued:"Minister, in five minutes I have called an important conference on a further strategy for actions in the East." It would be good if you were present.
- Me, natürlich, mein Führer!
- Great. So see you in a moment.
Hitler left us, and with him his thinning mustache. As soon as he slammed the door behind him, Goebbels said what seemed obvious:"As you can see, obligations call for." I'll call you later. Right after the conference. You understand yourself. Hitler is not denied…
The text is an excerpt from the latest book by the best-selling author Christopher Mack, "Goebbels' Confession. A sincere conversation with a friend of Hitler ”, which has just been released by the Bellona publishing house.